Thoughts on "Spark and Grind": March 25 2021

After some absence, I will make an effort to share thoughts on a book I've been listening to called The Spark and the Grind, Ignite the Power of Disciplined Creativity by Erik Wahl (https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Grind-Ignite-Disciplined-Creativity/dp/0399564209)

As a brief intro, I like to listen to audiobooks while walking, and sometimes I come across interesting or insightful thoughts. I am sharing some of these thoughts here today, and hope to continue to do so in the near future.

To start with, as a reference, the book refers to an idea or inspiration as "spark", and after the initial spark, the work done on it as the "grind". When you are able to work an idea into something rewarding, it is called a "blaze", as in a fire.

The metaphor is that a spark ignites the fire and you grind to work it into a blaze.

My interest in this book is to improve my "grind"; I tend to come up with lots of ideas, but then I feel like I abandon them too quickly.

An initial caveat: if you feel like you "abandon" a project too soon, it may well be that you did the work you wanted to do, and any further work does not interest you. This can be natural, or it could be a barrier on grinding further. Keep both possibilities in mind.

Here are some of my thoughts as I listen to the book:

  • It may happen that while grinding, you "run out of steam", or decide to abandon the work, either for a short time or for a longer period. Do not feel bad; this can happen, and in my case happens all the time.
  • If a grind runs out, then you should find another spark to grind on. Learn how to grind a spark, and eventually you will end up with a blaze, where the idea and the work behind it takes off.
  • If you can learn to make this blaze happen, you can get even more reward from the spark and grind.
  • If you are grinding and see new sparks fly, then you should definitely pay attention to them. It is up to you if you wish to grind those new sparks immediately or continue on your current grind.
  • The caveat is: do not ignore new sparks, and always make an effort to grind sparks. This is the way the book puts forth to eventually end up with blazes that make the work worthwhile and rewarding.
  • The book makes the point "the first spark is rarely the brightest". This is why it is important to pay attention to sparks that fly up while grinding. You may find even brighter sparks, which lead to bigger blazes.

I will follow up with more posts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it a Commitment or Experiment?

Always pursue a line of interest

Progress Update: Still Searching